Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Everything Happens for a Reason

Have you ever heard the saying "Everything happens for a reason?" I have heard it several times, but mostly I never hear or notice the reason. This time within weeks we noticed the reason.
On Christmas Eve we spend the whole day cleaning up a wet basement due to a broken water pipe. After trying to call the insurance company for days, I finally got a hold of someone (and not a machine) on Monday. She asked if I called the cleaners. What? The cleaners? All I knew was that when I called the office the machine said they were closed for the holidays. She was very nice and directed me to whom I needed. The cleaners came, the next day, and said most everything looked dry. They estimated some damages; and cleaned carpets.
Flash ahead to Thursday January 15th we ran to the emergency in Florida. There is no cheap way to travel. We did drive, and family in Florida helped with meals and a place to stay ( Thank you Jack and Melissa). Gas alone was over $200. While down there our maintance light came on. Brian checked it out when we got home and said we needed to replace the timing belt and water pump. This is almost $1000 to have done, but I married a mechanically engineered man. He replaced both of them for $250, I owe him for "labor". I wondered how bills would get paid this month, but knew somehow we'd make it.
I'll be darn if we received the insurance check in the mail for our "clean-up" fees (we got paid for the cleaning Brian and I did), replacement of flooring, and more. It wasn't enough to buy a new car, but Florida and the van repairs are covered.
Things Happen For A Reason.

No comments: