Thursday, June 26, 2008

Tuesday June 24th; My son and the hamsters

Ben just received two hamsters and all the accessories from Uncle Mike. I really didn't want to take them for fear Ben doesn't understand how to care for them. I was afraid he would squeeze them to hard, try to make them sleep in his bed, try to take them in the shower, or something of that sort.
I would say he man handles them, but he does love them. Tuesday he took them out of there cage and tried to give them a bath in the bathroom sink, nearly drowning them. I was ready to cry. After looking up on the internet that you are to never give hamsters a bath unless they have something toxic on them, I blew them dry with a blow dryer on low. Poor hamster's I am sure they figured this was a punishment. (If you don't dry them they can catch a chill and die). Within the next hour I went downstairs to get a laundry and came up to find he drenched on in Febreeze, along with the wall in our bedroom (the hamsters were in our room on the dresser, up high), and his sister's hair was covered. Needless to say 3/4 bottle of Febreeze is gone. I cuddled the poor hamster in a dry wash rag and prayed they would make it through the night. I think they have been hibernating since. I filled the food dish last night, as of 8:30 this morning it is empty, and every time I check on them they are sleeping. Yes, they are still alive, I check there breathing and have tapped the cage to wake them. Poor things, I was ready to send them to a new home, where they will be ...... well not punished, but dad says not yet.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

OMG those poor hamsters! HAHAH! I can only imagine what was going through Ben's mind when he decided to give them a bath. And then Febreeze them. HAHAHA!