Friday, February 27, 2009

Wired and Ready for Bed

Last night was my sleep study.
I arrived at 10 pm with lots of nervousness. I wasn't sure what to expect. I was early, which is very unusual. The worker showed me to my room, which was on the corner of the building. I took my coat off and set my bags down. It was cool, I checked for thermostat, but couldn't find one. So I sat cuddled on the bed and turn on the cable television. (We don't have cable at home.)
Just before 11, the worker came back and had me fill out several questions on the questionnaire then wired me up. I felt like a puppet on a string. That wasn't all, when I crawled into bed I was hooked to what looked like giant double sized serge protector. Not to mention all the cords, I thought there is no way I am going to see. I manage to reach for my drink and the medication the doctor okay for the sleep study. It took about 15 minutes to knock me out and the only think I remember is the worker coming in telling me it's 7 am. I thought it was a joke, but it wasn't. He couldn't tell me much, other than have sleep apnea. He wouldn't go into detail as they will call me with more instructions and want another sleep study.
I drove home very groggy and proceed to step in the door to collapse on the couch and sleep until 10:30 am. What in the world was in that pill. They did forewarn me that by taking that pill will put me to sleep, but my body will still act. Like if I am a sleepwalker I will still sleepwalk, but won't wake up and won't remember. I don't think I'll take another one of those pills again.
I will be going for another sleep study and don't see the sleep doctor until May, but hopefully we can get some results before then.
Any suggestions for ideas to help fall asleep and stay asleep are greatly appreciated.

No comments: